Thursday, August 9, 2012

Saappatturaami meets Six pack Sundari

Restraint is certainly not my favourite word when it comes to food. I love to explore new eateries, eat different kinds of vegetarian food, eat , eat and eat all the time. With all the running and swimming, there is a need to keep a watch on what one eats.

I'm greatly indebted to my nutritionist for helping me lose a lot of weight three years ago only by eating and of course exercising. Her only mantra was to eat every two hours. She would give a whole lot of stuff one could eat - including chapatis, rice, bread, vegetables, poha, upma, idli, dosai, pori, popcorn, biscuits, fruits etc. It was upto to me to spread them over the entire day eating every two hours. Fried stuff and Sweets were a no-no. With me, the latter bit of avoiding sweets totally, would never work what with me getting specific sweet cravings every day. Like now . I wanted to eat Paalgova and the spouse has 'sweetly' managed to get them from my a potti kadai in Madras during his visit. 
Ok, back to my nutritionist, she was a strong advocate of a glass of vegetable juice every day...no no not the doodhi, karela variety. Here's what she recommended and I personally love it.

Vegetable Juice
Step 1 Take any three vegetables of your choice - like Carrot, Beetroot, Cucumber, Tomato. Cut them into pieces
Step 2  Add water and blend in a mixie. 
Step 3 Strain and add 50 per cent of the roughage back to the juice.

Consume the juice immediately. (don't refrigerate / keep it for consumption later). I usually don't strain and prefer to have it with all the fibre adding a dash of lime / mint. No exaggeration but this veggie juice helped me get a facial-like glow on my face. 

Over and above this, four egg whites were compulsory for me since I am a vegetarian. Now this was a tough part 'coz I hate eggs. So it was a painful effort to eat those every day. 
It was my bad that I didn't imbibe healthy eating as a lifestyle, instead considered it a diet and stopped having eggs and the veggie juice after I dropped quite a few kilos . With no regular exercise I promptly gained the kilos I had lost. Hopefully from now I will be careful now that I'm back to my veggie juice , egg whites & ofcourse running and swimming. 

Update on the fitness regime this week - Have been walking a lot. The driving / cabbing to the main market place which is a good 5 km away has been replaced with walking. The weather is just right for a walk even if it is mid-morning. Supplementing the walk with few days of weight training at the gym.Personally am not a gym fan 'coz I find it extremely painful to run at the same place, stare at the same wall for more than a minute. Didn't want to overdo the running bit and hence the walking routine this week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! i read all you posts in this blog and in blogeswari as well.. nice style of writing. crisp and witty.. and this blog is just the right inspiration i need for weight loss. keep running.. !

    ReplyDelete

Kya Bolta?